Former sister colleges reunite
TAU, TSU seal five-year agreement
With years of entwined history, Tarlac Agricultural University (TAU) and Tarlac State University (TSU) embark on a shared vision to become leading sustainable universities in the world.
To streamline and recalibrate collaborative undertakings geared towards mutual development, officials from the two higher education institutions (HEIs) inked an accord at TSU Alumni Hall, Villa Lucinda Campus on 4 May.
Dr. Max P. Guillermo, TAU President, hailed the historic deal between two of Tarlac’s premier universities and encouraged their respective stakeholders to bring the goals of cooperation to fruition. Meanwhile, Dr. Arnold E. Velasco, TSU President, stressed that the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signing is “long overdue.”
The MOU adopted by both parties include provisions on academic consultations, joint research publication, and extending of technical assistance especially in advancing internationalization, mobility, and sustainability.
“The Province of Tarlac is fortunate to have TAU and TSU working together to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) ahead of its 2030 target,” Dr. Christine N. Ferrer, Director of External Linkages and International Affairs (ELIA), said.
More than five decades ago, TSU’s precursor, Tarlac School of Arts and Trade (TSAT) was merged with Tarlac National Agricultural School, TAU’s predecessor, by virtue of Republic Act 4337. However, in 1974, President Ferdinand E. Marcos issued P.D. 609 to establish Tarlac College of Agriculture (TCA) effectively separating it from Tarlac College of Technology (TCT).
The two State Universities and Colleges (SUCs), TAU (601-800) and TSU (1000+), were recently included in the Times Higher Education IMPACT Rankings where TAU ranked in the top quartile of SDG 4: Quality Education.
Meanwhile, TSU received a new mandate (RA 11695) bestowing its Board of Regents additional powers when it comes to disbursing income and offering tertiary courses and basic education in its laboratory school.